Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Psalm 10

David is in trouble again, and here he describes the kind of people who are enemies of God -- the wicked man. He is arrogant and boastful. He is proud and rich. He considers himself to be invincible -- "Nothing will shake me." His speech is full of horrible utterances. And he prowls (as Satan is described later in Scripture) looking for his next victim. He is sure that his actions are not seen by God, or if they are, that God doesn't care.

David saw his share of these people. I see them too. Although not as sinister as David describes, the arrogant, invincible attitude is unmistakeable. Boice calls these people "practical atheists." Although they may claim to believe in God, they live like they don't believe He exists (or at least doesn't care and won't ever judge them). But David asks God to go after these pretenders. He knows that God sees and will judge. He calls for God to break the power (the arem) of the wicked and uphold the weak and victimized.

"The Lord is King forever and ever; the nations will perish from his land."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home