Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Psalm 56

What can man do to me? Well, plenty, if we are honest with ourselves. But none of it is of eternal consequence. Even in David's darkest hours, his trust was in God. When enemies twisted his words and looked for a place to murder him, David trusted in the Lord.

This psalm was written at a time after David had been chased and betrayed. He had gone to the hometown of Goliath, the champion he had killed a few years earlier, for protection but found none. David was a desperate man. He was alone. And he was also afraid. Yet twice in this psalm he writes, "What can mortal man do to me?"

David was confident of deliverance. Again he promises to present thank offerings for the deliverance which he knows is coming. Faith wins the victory, even before a physical victory is provided.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home