Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Psalm 12

This psalm is about words -- the words of the lying evil man and the words of the living God. The evil man lies -- outright untruths. He flatters, kissing up to his victim while at the same time maneuvering to take advantage of him. He boasts, which is the outward sin resulting from pride. His bragging talks about how he attains victory by dishonest means, and his claim that he bears no responsibility to anyone, especially to God.

Then in verse 5, God speaks. He will stand up for the oppressed. "I will now arise" -- again the language of God going to war. The psalmist points out that God's words are flawless which is quite the opposite of the words of the liar. Silver refined seven times would be 100% pure.

The last two verses point out that even though the evil men of the world continue their arrogant strutting while the world honors them, the hope of the Christians (as well as the oppressed) is in the Lord who will protect His people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home