Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Isaiah 12-17

Chapter 12 is a song of praise, reading like it was taken straight from the Psalter. "The Lord is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation." This is the cry of Israel when the Lord shall reign.

The prophecy against Babylon predicts the entired kingdom being overthown "by God" and the city itself becoming desolate forever. Current scholarship places the city of Babylon somewhere in northern Iraq -- in a desolate area.

In the midst of the Babylonian prophecy, we see Lucifer's sin described in 14:12-17. Lucifer's sin and fate must be reminiscent of the Babylonian ruler. It would be easy to overlook that passage as simply part of the prophecy against Babylon. The phrases "fallen from heaven" and "cast down from the earth" are clues, as are the names "morning star, son of the dawn".

The shorter prophecies against Assyrian and the Philistines end chapter 14. Moab is mourned over in chapters 15 and 16 -- it will be gone in three years. Then Damascus' future is foretold in chapter 17. "You have forgotten God your Savior..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home