Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Isaiah 62-66

Chapter 62 again speaks of the raising up of Jerusalem until it becomes the crowning jewel of earth. The land is to be healed and all is to be well. The people are to reap what they plant instead of having it taken by other nations. God is sending His Savior to redeem Israel. The vengeance of the Lord will come at that time. The picture of the Savior wearing clothing soaked in the blood of His enemies is vivid.

The text turns to praise at 63:7. It reads like one of David's psalms calling for the Lord to redeem His people. It is a time where the Israelites do not possess the land they were promised. At 63:18 we see that the land is occupied no longer and that enemies have overtaken it. The call for God to act continues in chapter 64, as the author recounts the many times when God came to save His people, Israel.

I love the beginning of chapter 65 because it a) is quoted in the New Testament, b) it tells of God bringing Gentiles to Himself and c) it sounds so much like what God has done for us. He revealed Himself to nations who did not ask for Him. He was found by those who didn't seek Him. God makes it easier for us in our current culture because it is easy to find out about Him if we are looking. Those without access to all we have must follow the light of creation and conscience to find Him. With us, we have revelation all around us. Yet 65:2-3 is also very true. "All day long I have held out my hands to an obstinate people, who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations -- a people who continually provoke me to my face, offering sacrifices in gardens and burning incense on altars of brick..." How common it is for us to reject God in spite of all God does for us. We wallow in our sins but yet tell others, "Keep away; don't come near me, for I am too sacred for you!" What foolishness! Yet God knows and justice will be served.

God will not abandon His people because of the failures of some. He will provide for the righteous, but will punish the ungodly.

At 65:17 we begin the final promise of the prophecy, that of a new heaven and a new earth, where everything is peace and love and wolves and lambs will share stable space. 66:3 is important to remember. "This is the one I esteem; he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word." But all this will not happen overnight. (Indeed it has been over 2500 years already!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home