Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Psalm 62

David's confidence in God is shown here as unshakable. In fact, his trust in only in God. According to Boice, the word "alone" or "only" is used six times in the first nine verses. There is no one like God. No one is worthy of the trust David gives except God alone. The first six verses each begin with "alone" or "only". It is an important point being made by the psalmist. In the ame way, our satisfaction must be in God alone.

Verses 5-6 are almost identical to verses 1-2. It is the theme of the psalm. God alone is our foundation and our salvation. The images of God are hard to miss here. My rock. My salvation. My fortress. My mighty rock. My refuge. Only God.

A description of David's enemies in 3-4 is contrasted not with David, but with God. Similarly verses 9-10 are advice to avoid the thinking of the enemies, and instead set your heart on God. It is a warning against seeking power, and against materialism.

David reminds us of two things about God: His strength and His loving character.

The final two lines of verse 12 are ignored in Boice's commentary, but stand out as a reminder of judgment. We will be rewarded for our works. Of course we don't merit salvation by our works, but there is a reward nonetheless. What isn't spoken here is the punishment for our sins. The death penalty was taken by Christ, but still there is to be some sort of "anti-reward" for our sinfulness as well. Thankfully, as Paul writes in Romans 8, we are not condemned to eternal punishment for those sins because of the forgiveness through Christ Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home