Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Psalm 23

The Psalm. Why does it touch so many hearts? We know precious little about sheep these days, or shepherds. But we do know about danger and the valley of the shadow of death. We know all about fearing evil. And somehow these words of the former shepherd boy, David, touch a chord, in spite of the fact that our dangers are so different from those David faced. Yet there is a victory evident in the six scant verses. My cup overflows.

In verse 4 we walk not through the valley of death but of its shadow. Death isn't an end. It is just a shadow to the faithful. Once again David expresses the confidence which is given by the Almighty.

1 Comments:

  • At January 26, 2006 4:46 AM , Blogger poetpete said...

    Lovely and encouraging to see you are hooked into the Psalms. Ditto here; I have decided to make the Psalms a major focus of my devotional (and exegetical) journey, as I ... dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Surely the feast there has to be a bonus!!!)

    Peter

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home