Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Psalm 21

The other side of Psalm 20. This one was a psalm of thanksgiving to be sung at the return of the conquering heroes. So much confidence here. Of course after a victory one should be confident. But at verse 8 the celebrating of the past victory turns to thanksgiving for coming victories. Again the key is verse 7 which plainly states, "For the king trusts in the Lord; through the unfailing love of the Most High." That is where our trust belongs.

Giving thanks can be tough for me. When I'm lost in prayer, there is no problem acknowledging that I am nothing without Him... that all I have is from Him. Thanksgiving flows freely at that point. But you know, it's still hard sometimes to stop and say thank you. I have that problem when someone gives me a gift. As thankful as I am, it is hard for me to express that thought without sounding like I'm only saying "Thanks" because it is expected. Something about thanking God is a little easier because of the very nature of prayer. He knows I'm not just saying -- except when I am, which is embarrassing to admit and heartbreaking to discover.

"Be exalted, O LORD, in your strength, we will sing and praise your might."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home