Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Romans 5-6

Romans always "reads better" when you can take a little time and go straight through Paul's argument. One section leans so heavily upon another. His style is familiar. The use of the argument which goes, "If this is so, how much more will there be if this is true also," is extensive, especially in chapter five. "Since we have now been justified by his blook, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!" If something terrible happens because of man, how much better it can be made with a perfect God. Jesus used the same style in His teachings as well. Much of the Adam/Jesus - Death/Alive passages are based on that rhetorical style.

It's hard not to stop at my favorite passages like 5:3-5 where we learn that suffering produces perseverance, character and hope which does not disappoint.

At 6:19, Paul writes that he's putting "this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves". I assume that means the examples he's using are geared especially for his audience.

The slavery to sin/slavery to Christ concept is something I don't think most people (myself included) really gets. Maybe because the idea of slavery is so abhorrant to us. We value our "freedom" way too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home