Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Psalm 17

A prayer of David according to the title. And a prayer it is. A prayer that God will hear because David is the "apple of His eye" and because he has not sinned with his mouth and has stayed in God's paths without slipping. Of course we realize that David isn't claiming perfection any more than God was claiming Job to be perfect when He told the devil that Job was blameless. David is simply saying that he is innocent of the charges against him... that those who "have tracked me down..." are wrong in their accusations. I wonder when David wrote this -- likely when Saul's boys were chasing him.

David prays with confidence. He calls to the Lord to hear his cry in verse 1 and in verse 15 he is ready to bed down for the night knowing that he "will be satisfied with seeing Your likeness."

Boice titles this psalm, The Prayer of A Righteous Man, reckoning it to James words about such a prayer. Indeed this is a prayer of someone whose relationship with God is rock solid. We know that David's spiritual life wasn't always this rock solid, but it makes me long to be in a situation where mine is always this rock solid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home