Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Psalm 15

Who can come before God? Who is worthy? David lays out five verses about how we should live our lives. Boice lays them out as six parallel pairs of lines dealing with the same topic.

Character - a blameless walk and righteous acts.
Speech - speaking the truth without slander.
Conduct - combining the first two traits - does no wrong to his neighbor and doesn't speak badly of him.
Values - despises a vile man, but honors those who fear the Lord.
Integrity - keeps his word even when it hurts
Using money - lends freely and can't be bought to hurt others.

Most go without saying, but still it's the despising a vile man which bothers me. It's the vileness we should despise. Still I understand how David said it in that fashion.

Do I keep my word, even when it hurts? Often I do not keep it even if it doesn't hurt. I must work on my integrity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home