Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Psalm 16

Psalm 16 is categorized as a Messianic psalm because of one verse -- but oh, what a verse! In verse 10, David (probably unwittingly) prophesies that Messiah would not be abandoned to the grave nor would His body see decay. Certainly any believer can say that he will not be abandoned to the grave. That's what eternal life is all about. David could have written the same about himself. It is the "decay" reference which refers to Jesus. And from the looks of the psalm, it is the only prophetic or Messianic reference contained here.

It's striking just how satisfied David is with his portion, his cup, his lot, his boundary lines and his inheritance. Contentment is not something which comes naturally to us in our sinful condition. Coveting is in our blood -- or more rightly, our sin nature. And yet it is so accepted both in and out of the Church. Sad.

Apart from God (El), the LORD (yahweh), the Lord (adonai) we have no good thing either. Running after other gods, like materialism, only brings more sorrows.

The Lord counsels me. By speaking through my heart, He instructs me. Putting Him in front of us keeps us from being shaken. So much wisdom is such a short psalm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home