Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Landmarks on the Journey - 1/20/06

Well, I'm twenty days into this adventure and five days ahead in my reading as of now. I'm not doing a lot of other reading, but that's OK. Sometimes the Boice commentary gets a little too long and drawn out for a short psalm, but then again he's reprinting sermons!

It's frustrating sometimes the way the program is set up. I mentioned that I spent 8 months preaching the Sermon on the Mount yet it was a one-day reading -- the same as Job 7 and 8, which has far fewer points. It's sometimes a little frustrating jumping back and forth between books because I have to stop and find my context. Starting Romans 5, I had to re-read the last of Romans 4 to see exactly where I was. And this was with a familiar passage. It's going to be tougher when I get to Ezekiel, I'm sure!

This journal is an important step in the whole journey. Perhaps at the end of it all, I can rearrange everything to make a skeleton commentary and expand on selected sections from there. The entries here tend to slow down my progress (in spite of the fact that I'm five days ahead) and if my work situation changes soon, I'm not sure how I'm going to do it all. I'm sure God will show me something and will provide the way to do it, so long as I don't get lost in my selfishness and put lying around on the couch ahead of what I'm supposed to be doing.

Still two more weeks before I finish even one book...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home