Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Psalm 20

This psalm was written to be sung by the assembled people as the king and his army goes off to battle. (The homecoming is Psalm 21.) Again, note the confidence, this time expressed by the people, that the king will be upheld by the Almighty.

Verse 6 is the king or perhaps a priest articulating that confidence in the Lord before the psalm goes back to the people.

The memorable verse is verse 7 (and also 8):
Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
They are brought to their knees and fall,
but we rise up and stand firm.

Where is my trust? It's so easy to trust in what I can put my hands on; the instruments of battle. But the only One worthy of my trust is God Himself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home