Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Job 9-10

Job's response to Bildad shows the effects of lengthy suffering. He speaks of himself both as innocent and blameless, then later in 10:15 as guilty. Certainly Job understands that he is not completely innocent, but not guilty of anything to cause such tremendous affliction.

Job's words to God are pained. He understands fully the dilemma: God is all-powerful -- He is strong enough to do as He wishes, and God is just -- issuing judgement upon them. Job is no match for God's power and is not innocent enough to claim complete blamelessness. He is at God's mercy, which is what Job is requesting. Mercy to explain. Mercy to finish Job off. Mercy to allow Job a little time of joy without worrying about all that afflicts him.

Job names the Bear, the Pleiades and Orion as constellations. I wonder how long Orion has been known as such. Also in 9:13 there is a reference to the cohorts of Rahab, which I assume to be the same Rahab mentioned later on in 26:12.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home