Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Psalm 27

"The Lord is my light and my salvation -- whom shall I fear?" I still remember singing a choral arrangement of this psalm as a teen. The words resonate with not only confidence, but also power. David again composes a psalm about the strength he has in the Lord, even if it's not necessarily on our timetable. God certainly has his own timing, and in spite of not seeing an immediate answer, David reminds us to wait for the Lord and to realize that He will not disappoint.

The other major standout in this psalm is David obsession with God's house. At this point it was the tabernacle -- a tent, far from a glorious temple or even an impressive church campus today. For David, there was something special about God's house. He saw the beauty of the Lord in that tent. Perhaps it had something to do with having people assembled in the spirit of awe and worship. In any case, the tabernacle was a focal point for David. It was a shelter -- probably meant in a spiritual sense. Today's church buildings could be such a shelter as well, although I would hate to depend upon the presence of a building for spiritual shelter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home