Clearing My Head

This is a journal of my trip through Scripture for 2006. The entries are my own personal notes on the passages, highlighting the things which stand out to me. I am using a Through-the-Bible-in-one-year plan, as well as a commentary on the Psalms by James Montgomery Boice, which I am using as a devotional.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Romans 9-10

What a way to follow up the first eight chapters! Paul discusses the sovereignty of God as it pertains to allowing Gentiles into the Kingdom of God. It is not because of physical decending that places people in the Kingdom, but upon God's choice. Most take this as an individual call, but it can also be read as a "class election" of sorts. God has called those who choose to trust in Christ for salvation. Many Jews chose not to believe and face the consequences. God chooses to uphold justice for all. The cornerstone has become a stumbling stone, and it remains so for so many to this day.

Calling on the name of the Lord is the "ticket" to salvation. It is a head AND heart thing -- Confess with your mouth (action), and believe in your heart (faith) for salvation. That Gospel must be given, not just to the Jews, but to the Gentile world as well.

2 Comments:

  • At October 18, 2006 8:54 PM , Blogger Test All Things said...

    HERESY

     
  • At October 18, 2006 10:53 PM , Blogger rev-ed said...

    I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said "Stop! don't do it!"
    "Why shouldn't I?" he said. I said,
    "Well, there's so much to live for!"
    He said, "Like what?"
    I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?"
    He said, "Religious."
    I said, "Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?"
    He said, "Christian."
    I said, "Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?"
    He said, "Protestant."
    I said, "Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?"
    He said, "Baptist!"
    I said,"Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist church of the lord?"
    He said, "Baptist church of god!"
    I said, "Me too! Are you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of god?"
    He said,"Reformed Baptist church of god!"
    I said, "Me too! Are you reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?"
    He said, "Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!"
    I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off. -- Emo Phillips

    No, not heresy. I notice you didn't bother with any debate or reason... just a condescending condemnation. Not exactly how Jesus would have handled it.

    I hope you find plenty of folks from the reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879 to fellowship with, and learn to speak the truth in love, rather than just tossing a spear and running.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home